- October 8, 2018
- Posted by: Havenhill Synergy
- Category: Blog
The thought of having a battery that will last a lifetime for your device or equipment is amazing but the real truth is No battery lasts forever. One of the causes of this is SULFATION.
What is Sulfation?
Sulfation is the build-up of lead sulfate crystals on the plates of a battery that affects the performance of the battery in the long run.
According to Trojan, Sulfation is the generation or conversion of discharged lead sulphate in the plates of a battery to a state that it resists normal recharge.
Characteristics of a Sulfated Battery
Here are some characteristics of a sulfated battery:
1. Longer charging times
2. Shorter battery life
3. Other forms of battery failure including vibration and damaged charging plates
Causes of Sulfation in Battery
Some causes of battery sulfation are:
1. When a battery is stored or cycled in a partial state of charge, i.e neither fully charged nor discharged;
2. Charging your battery at incorrect charging levels and settings (ask your installer);
3. Not charging your battery almost immediately after it is fully discharged;
4. Storing your batteries under the wrong temperature conditions
Although lead-acid batteries overtime develop sulfate in their lifetime whether they are discharged, overcharged or undercharged, here are ways to extend your battery life:
1. Practice Proper battery maintenance practices
2. Ensure you follow best charging practices
Did you know we have a weekly tweet-chat – #LearnWithHHS on Twitter where we discuss questions popularly asked and proffer solutions to problems in the renewable energy (solar) industry? Join us every Wednesday at 3:30 PM WAT.